Oops! This edition is a little bit late and coming, my apologies.
To begin with, this week in the composition studio, we looked at and listened to Zaka by Jennifer Higdon, for flute, clarinet, violin, cello, piano, and percussion. I’d also like to listen to more of her works when I get the chance. There are audio clips on her website.
Secondly, here are my recent picks from Q2 this week:
- Figment III, by Elliott Carter, for bass
…and from a previous episode of Q2’s Cued Up
- The Diver, by Missy Mazzoli, for clarinet, violin, 2 keyboards, double bass
- Life is Good When You are at a Look & Listen Concert, by Jason Treuting, for percussion
- Untitled, by David Cossin, for percussion
- Fandango en Rondeau, by Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco, for guitar duo
- Sete Aneis, by Egberto Gismonti, for guitar duo
I’m sure there will be many more picks from the studio’s listening exam playlist that I will be studying this semester–more on that later.